White House Emphasizes Harmful Effects of Sequester
The White House on Friday released a fact sheet that reiterated the “harmful effects” of a sequester, including automatic cuts of thousands of jobs and hundreds of thousands of furloughs, set to take effect March 1.
The fact sheet comes at a time that the Obama administration is trying to convince Congress to again postpone the automatic, across-the-board cuts until Congress and the White House can agree to a long-term deficit reduction plan.
“There is no question that we need to cut the deficit, but the President believes it should be done in a balanced way that protects investments that the middle class relies on,” the White House wrote.
Among the impacts the White House cited in the release:
- Thousands of job losses among law enforcement and federal prosecutors;
- Cuts in small business assistance and loans from the Small Business Administration;
- Delays in new drug approvals and cuts to food inspector positions;
- Cuts to the Social Security Administration that could potentially reduce service hours, force the closure of some SSA offices and increase the backlog of Social Security disability claims; and
- Cuts that would affect the public health, including cuts to the Mental Health Block Grant program and the AIDS Drug Assistance Program.
“Unfortunately, many Republicans in Congress refuse to ask the wealthy to pay a little more by closing tax loopholes so that we can protect investments that are helping grow our economy and keep our country safe,” the White House wrote. “Our economy is poised to take off but we cannot afford a self-inflicted wound from Washington.”
Posted in General News