Open Season Resources for Federal Employees
We are at the midway mark of Open Season 2013, during which federal employees can select or switch their health, dental, vision, and other insurance coverage for 2014. Employees are advised to ensure they have the correct levels and type of coverage – doing so could leave extra money in your pockets!
FEDmanager offers this special open season edition as a resource for our readers who have yet to re-evaluate their coverage options. Don’t forget that Open Season ends on December 9, 2013.
Much has been written about Open Season and the multitude of options available to federal employees, which enables FEDmanager to provide our readers with links to helpful guides and resources for federal employees:
- The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) has a wealth of resources available online on the Open Season section of their website, including information about available health plans (FEHB), dental and vision plans (FEDVIP), and flexible spending accounts (FSAFEDS).
- OPM has a comprehensive, 120 page Guide to Federal Benefits
- OPM offers a series of online webcasts as a resource for employees
- OPM offers a handy checklist that helps employees navigate their choices for FEHB, FEDVIP, and FSAFEDS. OPM also has a Side-By-Side Plan Comparison tool.
- OPM offers a complete resource guide of hyperlinks for Open Season information
- OPM offers a Directory of Headquarters Level Agency Benefits Officers, who can assist employees if their own human resources or shared service center representative are unable to answer questions
- OPM offers a list of fast facts on all aspects Open Season
- Many current employees can enroll, change, or cancel plans using the Employee Express portal, while retirees and survivor annuitants should use the Retire FEHB portal.
- Asparity has a PlanSmartChoice Comparison Tool that provides side-by-side comparisons of plans that allows users to narrow their choices based on answers to a series of questions.
- Benefeds has a Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP) Comparison Tool, which is new this year.
- GovLoop put together a handy “Guide to Open Season in Federal Government: A Step-By-Step Approach to Selecting Your Perfect Plan.” The guide offers insights based on a survey of federal employees, interviews with Open Season subject matter experts, recommendations, resources, and important definitions to know when navigating Open Season.
- “The Consumers’ Checkbook Guide to Health Plans for Federal Employees,” by Walton Francis, is a highly-regarded, updated annually, well cited, and very affordable ($10) resource. Some call it the “Bible of FEHBP.” Agencies may have free digital access available for employees.
Posted in General News