Five Ways to Prepare For Your Next SES Interview
There are many best practices when it comes to preparing for your interview, and we believe that keeping it simple and focusing on the fundamentals is the safest and most effective approach.
1. Read the organization’s mission and vision, and go back and review the duties and qualifications within the job announcement. These are great ways to gain insights into the overarching strategic perspective at play and to anticipate some likely lines of questioning. After all, the hiring organization wrote the job announcement to attract people who have the kinds of skills and experience to help it meet the larger mission and vision—people like you.
2. Write short outlines of your ECQs so that you can share those stories and results in a clear, concise, and articulate manner. If you write them down five times, you will begin to recall them so well that you can discuss them in an even more relaxed and professional, yet conversational, tone.
3. Do the same thing with any TQs.
4. Think of what you will say if you are asked, “Why do you think you are the right candidate for the job?” As cliché as it seems, some interviewers love this type of question, so it’s good to be prepared. There is no single right answer, but you want to seem confident, humble, and enthusiastic all at the same time.
5. Do some breathing/relaxation exercises or positive visualization before the interview, and go in there calm and confident. Nerves can get the best of us, but no matter how desperately you want the job, all you can do is be yourself and be as honest and transparent as possible. It’s a great tactic to sit in your car or in a quiet spot within the final hour or so before the interview. You can simply close your eyes and take three to five deep breaths, or you might even “role play” in your mind by imagining the interview going exactly as you’d like, from the moment you walk in to the final handshake. You might be surprised how much these simple techniques can relax and prepare you.
Barbara Adams is the President and CEO of CareerPro Global, Inc. (CPG). She has been on the leading edge of SES application development for decades. Committed to providing world-class service, she has also built an SES writing team that has assisted more than 2,500 clients develop their application materials. Ms. Adams has been featured on T.V. and the radio, and as a presenter at numerous career conferences. CPG recently sent a team to instruct senior officials at Warner Robins Air Force Base, Georgia in best practices for developing their SES application materials. She is the co-author of the new book, Roadmap to the Senior Executive Service: How to Find SES Jobs, Determine Your Qualifications, and Develop Your SES Application.
Posted in Career Tip of the Month